Jan 15, 2012

Housewife Overflowed with Sense of Christ's Presence

Two Girls at a Piano - Renoir


On this day, 134 years ago, November 20, 1872 the National Baptist
Sunday School Convention in Cincinnati, Ohio sang a new hymn. The words
were by Annie Sherwood Hawks, the tune by her pastor Robert Lowry. One
of its best verses read:

I need Thee every hour; teach me Thy will;
And Thy rich promises in me fulfill.

And the refrain went:

I need Thee, O I need Thee;
Every hour I need Thee;
O bless me now, my Savior,
I come to Thee.

Here is how Annie described its writing: "One day as a young wife and
mother of 37 years of age, I was busy with my regular household tasks.
Suddenly, I became so filled with the sense of nearness to the Master
that, wondering how one could live without Him, either in joy or pain,
these words, 'I Need Thee Every Hour,' were ushered into my mind, the
thought at once taking full possession of me."