Dec 17, 2011

Summary of the Seven Churches of The Revelation

Let it be noted that the seven churches described in Revelation 2-3 were seven real churches that existed at the time John recorded the vision given by Jesus Christ. However, the letter of Revelation is focused on events at the end of the age. Therefore, it's not a leap of logic to conclude that the seven churches are seven types of the church that will exist in the last days. With that in mind, let's look at the seven types, and let the reader decide which one best describes their own.

SUMMARY OF THE SEVEN CHURCHES REVELATION 2-3

Theme - He that hath an ear, hear what the Spirit says to the seven churches.

The Church of Ephesus - Rev. 2:1-7

Focus Characteristic of Jesus - He who holds the seven stars in His right hand, and walks in the midst of the seven golden candlesticks.

Commendations - Works, labor, patience, cannot bear those who are evil. Tried false apostles and found them to be liars. Born (lifted up) the name of the Lord, had patience and labored for His name‘s sake. Hate the deeds of the Nicolaitans

Concerns - Left their first love.

Warning - Repent, or the Lord will come quickly, and remove the candlestick (the angel, spiritual connection, blessing) appointed to this church.

Offer of Reward - He that overcomes may eat of the Tree of Life.

The Church of Smyrna - Rev. 2:8-11

Focus Characteristic of Jesus - The First and the Last, He which was dead but is now alive.

Commendations - Thy works, tribulations (suffering) and poverty, (but they are rich spiritually), the blasphemy (false accusations) of those who say they are Jews but are not (Synagogue of Satan). (Matt 5:10-12)

Concerns - None.

Warning - The Devil shall cast some of you into prison that you may be tried, and you shall have tribulation for 10 days.

Offer of Reward - Be faithful unto death, and Jesus will give you a crown of life. He that overcomes shall not be hurt by the second death.

The Church of Pergamos - Rev. 2:12-17

Focus Characteristic of Jesus - He who has the sharp sword with two edges.

Commendations - Thy works, where thou livest (the persecution) of the seat of Satan, hold fast the faith and name of Jesus, even though Antipas (a faithful member of the church) was slain.

Concerns - Those there who hold the doctrine of Balaam which includes eating food sacrificed to idols and fornication. Also having as members those who hold the doctrine of the Nicolaitans, whom the Lord hates.

Warning - Repent, or I will come quickly, and fight against those members mentioned with the sword of His mouth.

Offer of Reward - Him that overcomes will eat of the hidden manna, and be given a white stone with a new name that no one else knows.

The Church of Thyatira - Rev. 2:18-29

Focus Characteristic of Jesus - The Son of God, whose eyes are like a flame of fire, and His feet like fine brass.

Commendations - Works, charity, service, faith, patience, works again, the last even more than the first.

Concerns - They suffered (permit) the woman Jezebel, a self-called prophetess, to teach and seduce my servants to commit fornication and eat things sacrificed to idols.

Warning - Cast her into a bed, and those that commit adultery with her into great tribulation unless they repent of their deeds. I will kill her children.

Offer of Reward - That which you have, hold fast until I come. He that keeps my works until the end, I will give him power over the nations. And I will give him the morning star.


The Church of Sardis - Rev. 3:1-6

Focus Characteristic of Jesus - He that has the seven Spirits of God (Rev. 1:16, 20, 5:12) and the seven stars (angels of the churches).

Commendations - Thy works, thou hast a few names in Sardis which have not defiled their garments.

Concerns - Thou hast a name that thou art alive, but are dead.

Warning - Strengthen the things which remain, that are ready to die, for I (Jesus) have not found your works perfect before God. Remember what you have heard and received, and hold fast, and repent. If you will not repent, I will come upon you as a thief, and you will not know the hour I will come upon you. (1 Th. 5:1-9)

Offer of Reward - He that overcomes shall be clothed in white, and I will not blot his name out of the Book of Life, but I will confess his name before the Father and His angels.

The Church of Philadelphia - Rev. 3:7-13

Focus Characteristic of Jesus - He that is Holy and True, and has the Key of David, He that opens and no man shuts, that shuts and no man can open.

Commendations - Thou hast a little strength, and hath kept My word, and not denied My Name. Thou hast kept the Word of My patience, I will also keep you from the hour of temptation that will come upon the whole world, to try those that dwell upon the earth.

Concerns - none.

Warning - I (Jesus) come quickly, hold fast that which thou hast, that no man may take thy crown.

Offer of Reward - I will make them of the Synagogue of Satan, who say they are Jews and are not, and do lie, I will make them to come and worship, to kneel before thy feet, and to know that I have loved thee. Him that overcomes I will make a pillar in the Temple of My God, and he shall go no more out, I will write upon him the Name of My God, and the Name of His city, the New Jerusalem which comes down out of heaven, and I will write upon him My new Name.

The Church of Laodicea - Rev. 3:14-22

Focus Characteristic of Jesus - The Amen, the Faithful and True Witness, the Beginning of the Creation of God.

Commendations - none.

Concerns - Thy works, because thou are neither cold nor hot. I would rather you were cold or hot. Thou sayest thou are rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing, and knowest not that thou are wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked.

Warning - Because you are lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spit you out of My mouth. I counsel thee to buy of Me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich, and white clothing, that thou mayest be clothed, and the shame of thy nakedness not appear, and anoint your eyes with eye salve, that you might see. As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten. Be zealous therefore, and repent. (Dan. 3)

Offer of Reward - Behold, I stand at the door and knock, if any man hear My voice and open the door, I will come into him, and sup with him, and he with Me. To him that overcomes, I will grant to him to sit with Me in My Throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with My Father in His Throne.